How To Fix A Broken Interview Process
It’s a conundrum: nearly half of today’s organizations consider the interview the most important part of the candidate experience — yet their interview processes are lengthy, confusing, and inefficient. And usually, their processes have not been rethought in years, causing offers to be declined at an ever-growing rate.
Yello has identified six signs that indicate it’s time to reassess your current process:
- Lack Of Standardization. The same process is not being followed across the organization.
- Trouble Securing Timely Feedback. It takes too much time to chase down interviewers, and their comments are often unhelpful.
- Lengthy Hiring Cycles. Top candidates wind up going elsewhere, dropping out, or not showing up.
- Candidates Are Confused. They don’t understand what to do for the next steps.
- Interviewers Express Dismay. There is too much internal stress over the process.
- Setting Up Interviews Is Time-Consuming. Your team is reluctant to participate in what they view as an unwieldy process.
What’s the way forward? Turning to new technology to make your hiring process consistent and efficient. Today’s automation solutions can help you schedule more efficiently, enhance the candidate experience, save on travel expenses, simplify feedback, and improve hiring decisions. Let’s review some of the highlights of a tech-savvy interview process:
Automated Interview Scheduling
The back-and-forth of interview scheduling is a major pain point for organizations and candidates alike. Everyone appreciates when you automate the process to allow for tracking, flexibility, and last-minute changes. The best solutions will:
- Sync with Gmail and Outlook calendars
- Personalize invitations, reminders, and confirmations
- Enable candidates to self-schedule interview times
- Easily handle rescheduling and cancellations
Automated Candidate Interviewing
COVID-19 pushed virtual interviewing into the forefront, and its advantages have proven themselves to the point that 80% of recruiters expect to continue using the technology going forward. What’s more, there are multiple ways this technology is being put to use:
- Pre-recorded interviews where candidates can answer a set of questions at any time — ideal for initial screening.
- Live video interviews that today can be just as spontaneous and revealing as in-person — which TV talk shows will confirm.
- Live group interviews which candidates increasingly find comfortable and convenient.
Because video interviews can be accessed from anywhere, they expand your candidate sourcing across geographic borders — and let you talk to candidates wherever they are most at ease.
Pre- And Post-Interview Feedback
An important corollary to virtual interviews is the ability to obtain fresh, immediate feedback. With an automated process, both candidates and interviewers can receive follow-up and evaluation requests as soon as interviews are completed — and recruiters can even automate follow-up reminders to ensure all evaluation forms are completed promptly.
You don’t want your candidates to feel ignored during the recruitment process, and automation can help keep them in the loop. Choose a solution that allows for personalized email campaigns, interactive texting, and other digital communication that will keep your opportunities and employer brand top of mind.
Now’s the time to fix your broken interview process and achieve greater hiring success. Whatever size your organization, whether a single location or global network, the technology you can use is readily available. Best of all, it’s an investment that rapidly pays you back by attracting top candidates while saving you time and money.